For questions 1-45 read the sentences and then choose from the list a-d the best word or
phrase to fill the gap.
1. The lift is out of _____________ so we’ll have to walk.
2. What do you _____________ to do about the problem now that the solution has failed?
3. We have _______________ for a new secretary but we haven’t had any replies yet.
4. I’ve __________ for the job; I hope I get it.
5. He’s so mean he wouldn’t give a beggar a _____________ of bread.
6. I never expected you to turn _________ at the meeting, I thought you were in France.
7. He ___________ me by two games to one.
8. His office is on the third ________________ of the building.
9. I’m ____________I didn’t pass the exam but I’ll do better next time.
10. The lecture was so _____________ that everyone fell asleep.
11. When she _____________ she wants to be a doctor.
12. I’ll call ____________ you at 8.30 and drive you to work.
13. Would you _________ holding this box for me while I open the door?
14. He has some very ___________ habits. He always has a bath with his clothes on.
15. If you don’t know a word look it ________ in a dictionary.
16. I’ve bought some lovely __________ to make myself a new dress.
17. The meeting ______________ at midnight and we all went home.
18. She’s staying in the youth __________ in Bridge Street.
19. He ______________ the letter carefully before putting it in the envelope.
20. I ______________ to inform you that there’s nothing more we can do.
21. We’re having our house _____________. The decorators are coming next week.
done away with
22. I’ll put the tulips in this _________ They’ll look pretty there.
23. Did you _____________ the exam last year?
take place in
go in for
form part of
24. He _____________ his head, wondering if he would ever solve the problem.
25. I couldn’t _____________ the meeting as I was too busy.
26. The 2nd World War _____________ in 1939.
27. The bank is offering a _____________ to anyone with information about the robbery.
28. I enjoyed the cake very much. Could you give me the ______________ ?
29. She’s very pretty but those kind of looks don’t really ____________ to me.
30. He lost his _________ and hit me.
31. I fell in love with him at first ______________.
32. One of the water ______________ has burst - there’s water all over the kitchen.
33. He’s a nice dog. He won’t do you any _________.
34. There could have been a war over it but in the end reason ________________.
35. The factory has increased its _____________ by 10% this year.
36. We finally ____________an agreement after much hard negotiation.
37. I _______________ on seeing the manager. The service in this hotel is appalling.
38. The door ____________ when it opens. Can you put some oil on the hinges?
39. She’s the most __________________secretary I’ve ever had.
40. I’m sorry to ________ you while you’re working, but I do need to ask a question.
41. They’re building a tower block on that piece of _______________ land.
42. The prince _____________ power on the death of his father.
43. He’s __________ drink and can’t work any more.
44. There has been a serious ______________of the disease in the North West.
45. We’re flying to Paris _________________ tomorrow.
the day over
the day after
In questions 46-50 three words contain the same sound but one does not.
spear wear dare prayer
crime climb limb rhyme
freeze ease seize lease
stuff cough rough enough
palm calm warm harm
For questions 51-55 choose the phrase that best explains the meaning of the sentence.
51. We have something in common.
we’re both ordinary
we like each other
in one way, we’re similar
52. I’m fed up with it.
I’ve eaten enough
I’m getting too fat
I’m tired of it
I’m not hungry
53. I’ll let you off.
I’ll help you to escape
I won’t punish you
I’ll take you off the field
I’ll leave you outside
54. He’s out for a profit.
he’s interested in getting money
he’s not going to make any money
he’s abroad on business
he’s doing it for nothing
55. He asked me out.
he wanted me to go outside
he told me to meet him outside
he had some questions for me when I got outside
he invited me to go on a date with him
For questions 56-60, choose the phrase that you think best fills the gap.
56. Don’t _______________ because you’re losing the argument.
change the subject
pull the wool
alter the theme
vary the time
57. The children are all well except for Jack. He’s been a bit ______________ these last few days.
out of condition
out of the weather
58. He didn’t mean it seriously; he must have been ____________.
twisting your arm
pulling your leg
taking the sense
tapping your elbow
59. What a strange creature, it looks like a _______________ a moose and a deer.
60. Children are likely to get ______________if no one cares about their upbringing.
out of hand
away from the hand
out of the hand
away from hand
Complete the following task. Your answer should be about 200 words.
You have just returned from a holiday which was spoilt because several things went wrong on the journey. Read the advertisement and the notes you have made, then write a letter of complaint to the airline. Include the ideas listed under ‘Your experience’ and add some of your own.
You do not need to include postal addresses.